The SharePoint Recycle Bin provides a safety net when items (such as lists, libraries, folders, files, documents, and list items) are deleted from a SharePoint site. The SharePoint Recycle Bin works in two stages
First Stage Recycle Bin
When users delete items from a SharePoint site, they are placed in the User Recycle Bin. Items in the User Recycle Bin remain there until they are deleted or a set number of days have passed (30 days by default). The User Recycle Bin only contains items that the user personally deleted. To access the User Recycle Bin, from Settings (the gear in the upper right-hand corner) -> Site Contents, you should see the User Recycle Bin. Clicking on the Recycle Bin link will take you to the User Recycle Bin, where you can restore or delete the items.
Second Stage Recycle Bin
When items are deleted from a site’s Recycle Bin it goes to the Site Collection Recycle Bin and stays there until they are permanently deleted or a set number of days have passed (30 days by default). The Site Collection Recycle Bin contains items that any user has deleted, but is only accessible by Site Collection Administrators.
To Move SkyDrive folder to a different location without having all files resynced
- Right click SkyDrive icon on the task bar, click settings
- In the settings tab, click Unlink SkyDrive button
- Move your SkyDrive folder to new sync folder location.
- Launch SkyDrive again, on the first run, click Change button to choose the folder set in step 3.
SkyDrive will now use the new folder you choose, all existing files will be merged without getting resynced from cloud.
After I installed new SkyDrive Windows clientI noticed that SkyDrive is changing to a tiered pricing. The new default storage Microsoft offers will be 7GB, down from 25GB. It seems the main reason is most existing SkyDrive user don’t use more than 7GB.
The good news is Microsoft is taking good care of existing SkyDrive users with a limited time free upgrade offer. If you are a current SkyDrive user and want to keep 25GB free storage, you need request a free upgrade with one single click.
- Go to https://skydrive.live.comand login with your live id
- Click Manage Storage link
- Click Free Upgrade button Continue reading
Last time I posted a blog talked about SkyDrive is Live with OneNote Sync which you can Sync OneNote 2010 notebooks to SkyDrive. Now you can put every files in your PC on the SkyDrive and access it from anywhere, any devices.
Earlier today, Mike Torres and Omar Shahine from Microsoft, posted a blog via the Building Windows 8 blog site announced new SkyDrive Windows desktop client release. The SkyDrive release also includes new version for several platforms including Mac OS X, iPad, Windows Phone, iPhone. Continue reading
Today when I tried to get Windows Live Essentials installed on my fresh installed x64 Windows 8 I got following error
You cannot download Windows Live programs unless you are connected to the internet.
Windows Server 2003
For Windows server 2003, PowerShell V1 was released as KB ( hotfix). Download and install KB926139 – Windows PowerShell 1.0 English-Language Installation Package for Windows Server 2003
If you need PowerShell V2, make sure you have SP2 installed and then install Windows Management Framework from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968929
Windows Server 2008
For Windows Server 2008 run the following command in an elevated Command Prompt.
servermanagercmd -install PowerShell
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Server 2008 R2 has PowerShell V2 built in and enabled by default, however, PowerShell ISE is not. It is installed on Windows 7 client OS, but an Optional Component on Windows Server 2008 R2. To Install PowerShell ISE on R2, run the following command in a Windows PowerShell Modules prompt
- In Server Manager, start the Add Roles and Features wizard.
- On the Features page, select Windows PowerShell ISE.
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2012 has both PowerShell V3 built in and installed. PowerShell ISE needs to be added as it’s an optional Windows PowerShell feature, same as Windows Server 2008 R2.
Also checkout How to run PowerShell scripts to start your first PowerShell script.
SCVMM 2012 RTM is available for download for MSDN subscribers. You can start download it here. The SCVMM 2012 RTM version is 3.0.6005.0. Microsoft has published the SCVMM 2012 RTM help document and cmdlets help.
If you upgrade to RTM from RC, you can enter the product key in Admin Console UI About dialog Enter product key button.
Update 4/16: The first update rollup for VMM is already out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2686249. The update includes fix for both SCVMM Server, Self Service Portal and Admin Console. You will need to update all roles in you have them installed on different machines.
In System Center 2012, Microsoft extends the System Center branch to Cloud and Data Center management solution, the new System Center 2012 suites including
- System Center App Controller
- System Center Configuration Manager
- System Center Data Protection Manager
- System Center Operations Manager
- System Center Orchestrator
- System Center Service Manager
- System Center Unified Installer
- System Center Virtual Machine Manager
Updated on 2015/10/4: Update the screenshots to Windows 10, however, applies to Windows 8/8.1/10
Windows 10 includes the 2.0, 3.5 and 4.5 versions of the .NET Framework. However, only 4.5 is available for immediate use after a clean install. The versions 2.0 and 3.5 of the framework are not installed by default. If you open the Add/Remove Windows Features dialog you’ll see the “Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)” listed, but disabled.
To open a SharePoint 2010 Document Library in Explorer view, following these steps
- In the Ribbon area on top of document library page, click on the Library tab of Library Tools.
- Click Open with Explorer, a window explorer will pop up in which you can directly manage all documents.
- If you can’t see the Open with Explorer button, try maximize the browser window.
After you save OneNote notebooks to SkyDrive, and access OneNote from windows phone, you might notice that the only notebook syncs and shows up in Windows Phone is Personal (Web).
If you want to open/sync other notebooks other than Personal Web on windows phone, there are two options
Option 1 – Using IE on Windows Phone
- Open IE browser from windows phone, go to http://office.live.com.
- Then tap the notebook that you want to open, this will launch OneNote on windows phone and notebook will get opened and synced
Option 2 – Send notebook link via email
- Open notebooks you want to sync in OneNote 2010 from your desktop PC.
- Copy link to notebooks and send to your email account
- On windows phone, open the above links from your email
- OneNote will be launched and notebook will get opened and synced.
Note: if you go with option 1, make sure you have IE set to mobile version before go to http://office.live.com