When Microsoft Edge is set as your default browser, your PDF viewer will also default to Microsoft Edge. If you would like to change the default application associated with a file type, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > System > Default apps
- Scroll to the end of the dialog
- Select “Choose default apps by file type”
- Scroll to the .pdf file type listed on the left
- Left click on the associated item to the right of the file type
- Select the default app you want to use for opening .pdf files
After upgrading to Windows 10, you might notice two hidden folder $Windows~BT和$Windows~WS consumes more than 10GB spaces of C drive. These two folders are created for Windows 10 upgrade and can be safely removed after successful upgrade. However, if you run build in Disk Cleanup tool on Windows 10, it only cleans up Windows.old folder, and does not touch $Windows~BT and $Windows~WS. Following are scripts which you can manual clean up these two folder.
Continue reading Clean up Hidden $Windows~BT and $Windows~WS in Windows 10
Microsoft Edge is the new default browser in Windows 10. If you upgrade from a previous version of Windows, your default browser will be set to Edge.
Following are steps to change the default browser in Windows 10
Continue reading Change Windows 10 Default Browser
In Windows 10, Disk Cleanup Wizard is integrated into new Storage Sense app, which can be launched via Settings>System>Storage. The new Storage Sense app brings more space cleanup features.
However, the new Storage Sense app is very slow, if you just want to perform quick cleanup like old Windows, you can find legacy Disk Cleanup Wizard by searching for cleanmgr in task bar.
- In the Search box, type Add a language, and then tap or click the result Add a language to open it.
- In the Language dialog box, tap or click Add a language. Scroll to select the language you want from the list, or use the search box to search for a language.
- Tap or click the language you want to install, and then tap or click Add.
- To add the language as a display language, tap or click Options. If a language pack is available for your language, tap or click Download and install language pack.
- To switch to the newly installed display language, you’ll need to make it your primary language by clicking Make this the primary language.
Note: To change windows display language, you’ll need to log off of Windows, and then log on again for the change to take effect.
In Windows 8.1 you can login with Microsoft Account ( previously Windows Live ID). It give you the benefits to sync your contacts, calendar, hotmail settings, and roam your personalization settings like your Lock screen picture or desktop background across multiple devices.
When you setup a new Windows 8.1, by default you are asked for entering an existing Microsoft Account for logon. For users who do not like to use personal account in the office PC, they might find the logon with local user choice not discoverable. Here are two ways to skip using Microsoft Account as logon user when setup windows 8.1
- Disconnect your internet connection.
Two years ago I posted a blog Fix The Windows Search service is not installed error in Windows Server 2008 R2 explains how to fix Outlook search slowly when installed on Windows Server 2008 R2. Now I upgrade the system to Windows Server 2012 but notice the steps to enable Windows Desktop Search service in Windows Server 2012 are changed. In short, Windows Desktop Search service was under role File Server in Windows 2008 R2 and now moved to under Feature Windows Search.
Here are new steps to enable the Windows Search service in Windows Server 2012
- Start Server Manager.
- Click Manage , and then click Add Roles and Features .
- On the Before You Begin page, click Next .
- On the Installation Type page, select Role-based or Feature-based Installation , and then click Next .
- On the Server Selection page, select the server or virtual hard disk on which to install Windows Search Service.
- On the Features page, select Windows Search Servic e, and then click Next
- On the Confirmation page, verify that Windows Search Service is listed, and then click Install
In Windows Server 2008 R2, to define an application to be startup automatically for current user, one common way is to create an application shortcut and add it to startup folder. In Windows Server 2012, you might find you can’t find this startup folder any more.
Here is the steps to find startup folder in Windows Server 2012.
- WinKey + C to open the charms bar
- Click “Search”
- Enter shell:startup and click on the first result returned.
Now the Startup folder should appear, you can create and move shortcuts for application you want automatically startup into this folder.
Start from Windows 8.1, the metro internet explorer is the default one for website browsing. You can following these steps to make Desktop Internet Explorer for default browsing experience.
- In Internet Options, click Programs tab
- In Open Internet Explorer settings, change Choose how you open links option to Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop.
- Check Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop
- Click OK to save the Internet Explorer setting changes.
In windows 8.1, SkyDrive is built in. By default it’s set to Not sync files for offline usage, just put a placeholder. But you can set SkyDrive to sync all files or just selectly sync folders/files you want for offline usage.
To make SkyDrive sync all files for offline usage, open the metro SkyDrive application from start screenshot, change Access all files offline from default Off to On.
To make SkyDrive selectly sync the folders/files you want for offline usage, in metro SkyDrive app, by marking the folders/files and choose “make offline” or in desktop mode, by right clicking and selecting then appropriate option.