Office 2010 has a few great new features and improvements which make sharing and collaboration easier than ever.
OneNote Web Application
You can now create OneNote notebooks through web browsers and have other people to view, edit and collaborate anywhere. All notebooks created online will be saved to SkyDrive so you will need to have a Windows Live ID.
OneNote Web Application is free, just like other similar live service Microsoft has delivered over many years (hotmail, messenger). To get start with OneNote Web App, go to http://office.live.com and logon with your Windows Live ID. OneNote Web Application has familiar OneNote interface so you don’t have to learn it.
Start from OneNote 2010, when you creating new notebooks, you can save notebooks to SkyDrive directly so they are available to you everywhere.
How to synchronize OneNote and SkyDrive
- On your PC, open OneNote 2010.
- Go to the Notebook you want to enable sync, click on File > Share
- Choose your Notebook and then click on the Sign In button and enter your Live ID(aka MSN/Hotmail/XBox ID)
- Once you sign in, click on the Share Notebook button in the lower right. It will upload your notebook to your Skydrive
- Now notebooks will be automatically synced among different OneNote clients if they are online.
SkyDrive is live with OneNote Sync, you can now go to Office.live.com and start upload your OneNote files. Office Web Apps on SkyDrive are available free for personal use.
When you creating New Notebook in OneNote 2010, you can now save it to SkyDrive directly. To get start, you will need to have a Windows Live ID, and sign in when you are asked to. Notebooks will be automatically synced among different OneNote clients if they are online.
Here is how to uninstall Windows Desktop Search (WDS) as it is not visible in add-remove programs
Manual uninstall Windows Desktop Search 3
- Click on the Start Menu, then Run.
- Type cmd in the box and click OK. This will bring up the command line.
- Type the following and press enter
%windir%$NtUninstallKB917013$spuninstspuninst.exe /q /promptrestart
- A box will now appear to confirm the WDS has been uninstalled and asks you to restart. Once you have restarted the PC WDS will be gone.
Office 2010 can be run for 30 days for free before needing to be active, or you will start seeing activation notification dialog. If you want to exceed the 30 days free trial during evaluation, you will need to rearm your Office 2010.
To rearm Office 2010, type in the following from an elevated command prompt:
“C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft sharedOfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatformOSPPREARM.EXE”
Office 2010 is the first release of Office that contains 64 bit edition. It’s recommended to install the 32 bit version Office 2010 due to compatibility issues however if you still want to try 64 bit version keep these in mind.
- 32 bit version works on both 32 bit and 64 bit windows operation systems. But 64 bit version Office 2010 must be installed on 64 bit windows operation systems.
- You can’t upgrade from 32 bit Office 2007 to 64 bit Office 2010 directly, you have to uninstall existing 32 bit Office products prior to install 64 bit Office 2010. (It’s okay to upgrade Office 2007 to 32 bit Office 2010 on either 32 bit or 64 bit operation systems)
- You can’t run 64bit and 32bit office products side by side. For example, you can’t have side by side installation of 32 bit OneNote 2010 and 64 bit Outlook 2010
- Some of 32bit Office Add-Ins might not work on 64 bit Office 2010.
When you upgrade Office 2010 from BETA to RTM, you might get Error 1731 the source installation package for the product Microsoft Office Office 64-bit Components 2010 is out of sync with the client package as shown in this screenshot.
WordPress team has announced WordPress 3.0 beta 2 is shipped. It seems that release candidate will be coming very soon.
Things to test in 3.0 beta 2
- Revised menu user interface
- Changes to the WordPress exporter and importer to make it more flexible
WordPress 3.0 changes
Check out my previous post WordPress 3.0 Features. I will keep updating there.
Note: it’s recommended not try beta version WordPress on production site.
Windows Server 2008 R2 does not ask for a CD key in setup, and it can be run for 30 days for free before needing to be active. You can continue to use it after 30 days trial but the system will reboot every 2 hours and run with reduced functionalities.
If you want to evaluate or run testing on a server with Windows Server 2008 R2 installed. The following procedures will walk you through the steps to extend your grace period.
Type in the following from an elevated command prompt:
This will reset the activation expiration and the machine is good for another 30 days. You can do this up to 3 times and get 120 days free trial in total.
In most of WordPress themes, there is not meta description and meta keywords handle. This result every page of site has a empty description and keyword in page header, which is not good from search engine’s perspective.
This can be workaround by installing plug All in One SEO. But for those who concern plugin will slow down their sites, here is a simple hack, all needs to do here is just adding a few lines in header.php.
Firstly open header.php, find this line <meta http-equiv=”content-type” content=”text/html; charset=<?php bloginfo(‘charset’); ?>” />