If you’d like to see if your current PC meets the minimum system requirements, you can download the PC Health Check app (PC Health Check ). Most Windows 10 PCs currently being sold will be able to upgrade to Windows 11. For the PC to be able to upgrade to Windows 11, it must meet the minimum hardware specifications and specific hardware is required for some features (minimum system requirements).
If your current device does not meet the minimum hardware requirements, you will not be able to install Windows 11. You do not have to upgrade to Windows 11 in this case as windows 10 will be continue to be supported until October 14, 2025. (Windows 10 Retirement Date)
When Microsoft Edge is set as your default browser, your PDF viewer will also default to Microsoft Edge. If you would like to change the default application associated with a file type, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > System > Default apps
- Scroll to the end of the dialog
- Select "Choose default apps by file type"
- Scroll to the .pdf file type listed on the left
- Left click on the associated item to the right of the file type
- Select the default app you want to use for opening .pdf files
After upgrading to Windows 10, you might notice two hidden folder $Windows~BT和$Windows~WS consumes more than 10GB spaces of C drive. These two folders are created for Windows 10 upgrade and can be safely removed after successful upgrade. However, if you run build in Disk Cleanup tool on Windows 10, it only cleans up Windows.old folder, and does not touch $Windows~BT and $Windows~WS. Following are scripts which you can manual clean up these two folder.
Continue reading →
Microsoft Edge is the new default browser in Windows 10. If you upgrade from a previous version of Windows, your default browser will be set to Edge.
Following are steps to change the default browser in Windows 10
Continue reading →
In Windows 10, Disk Cleanup Wizard is integrated into new Storage Sense app, which can be launched via Settings>System>Storage. The new Storage Sense app brings more space cleanup features.
However, the new Storage Sense app is very slow, if you just want to perform quick cleanup like old Windows, you can find legacy Disk Cleanup Wizard by searching for cleanmgr in task bar.
- In the Search box, type Add a language, and then tap or click the result Add a language to open it.
- In the Language dialog box, tap or click Add a language. Scroll to select the language you want from the list, or use the search box to search for a language.
- Tap or click the language you want to install, and then tap or click Add.
- To add the language as a display language, tap or click Options. If a language pack is available for your language, tap or click Download and install language pack.
- To switch to the newly installed display language, you'll need to make it your primary language by clicking Make this the primary language.
Note: To change windows display language, you’ll need to log off of Windows, and then log on again for the change to take effect.
To remotely manage your Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V server from a windows 7 desktop, you need install RSAT (Remote Server Administrator Tool). This has been simplified in Windows 10. In Windows 10, Hyper-V management tool is built in, Hyper-V manager can be turned on via “Turn Windows features on or off” dialog directly without downloading RSAT.
However, Hyper-V manager in Windows 10 can’t manage can’t manage Hyper-V running on downlevel operation systems. If you connect using Hyper-V manager it would fail with following error:
This version of Hyper-V Manager cannot be used to manage server running Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2
The only workaround so far is remote into a Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 machine and run Hyper-V manager there.
Updated on 2015/10/4: Update the screenshots to Windows 10, however, applies to Windows 8/8.1/10
Windows 10 includes the 2.0, 3.5 and 4.5 versions of the .NET Framework. However, only 4.5 is available for immediate use after a clean install. The versions 2.0 and 3.5 of the framework are not installed by default. If you open the Add/Remove Windows Features dialog you’ll see the “Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)” listed, but disabled.
Continue reading →
Windows.old is a folder that contains archive information from previous windows system when you upgrading to Windows 10. It mainly stores programs and files that are required to run the earlier version of Windows and contains following folders.
- "Documents and Settings"
- "Program Files"
You might end up having a Windows.old folder taking up 20+ gigs on your system drive. If you don’t need windows.old folder and want to safely delete this folder, follow the instructions below:
- Select Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools, and then Disk Cleanup.
- If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8, select Clean up system files. If you are using Windows Vista, select Files from all users on this computer.
- Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and click OK.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to back up all important documents/files from the previous OS before following this article.
Remove Windows.old from command line
takeown /F c:\Windows.old\* /R /A /D Y
cacls c:\Windows.old\*.* /T /grant administrators:F
rmdir /S /Q c:\Windows.old
If you upgrade a server from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012, you need to enable desktop experience to use this disk cleanup utility.