In Windows Server 2008 R2, to define an application to be startup automatically for current user, one common way is to create an application shortcut and add it to startup folder. In Windows Server 2012, you might find you can’t find this startup folder any more.
Here is the steps to find startup folder in Windows Server 2012.
- WinKey + C to open the charms bar
- Click “Search”
- Enter shell:startup and click on the first result returned.
Now the Startup folder should appear, you can create and move shortcuts for application you want automatically startup into this folder.
Start from Windows 8.1, the metro internet explorer is the default one for website browsing. You can following these steps to make Desktop Internet Explorer for default browsing experience.
- In Internet Options, click Programs tab
- In Open Internet Explorer settings, change Choose how you open links option to Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop.
- Check Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop
- Click OK to save the Internet Explorer setting changes.
In windows 8.1, SkyDrive is built in. By default it’s set to Not sync files for offline usage, just put a placeholder. But you can set SkyDrive to sync all files or just selectly sync folders/files you want for offline usage.
To make SkyDrive sync all files for offline usage, open the metro SkyDrive application from start screenshot, change Access all files offline from default Off to On.
To make SkyDrive selectly sync the folders/files you want for offline usage, in metro SkyDrive app, by marking the folders/files and choose “make offline” or in desktop mode, by right clicking and selecting then appropriate option.
SkyDrive has been fully integrated into the RTM version of Windows 8.1 so its system level settings are now in PC settings.
To display the SkyDrive settings:
- Tap or click the Settings charm (or press Windows key + I).
- In the Settings pane, tap or click Change PC settings in the lower-right corner.
- Tap or click SkyDrive. You may have to press the Back button in the Settings pane to see the SkyDrive settings.
If you have a machine in domain turned off for a few weeks. You might log in failed with error “The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship” when it’s turned on. The error message means the target machine losts domain relationship with domain controller, you can follow these steps to login to domain again:
- Log in with local administrator
- Open system properties windows, on the Computer Name tab, click button Change
- Delete the domain name, re-enter it with domain NetBIOS name (if the domain is sysdomain.local, then the NetBios name is sysdomain)
- Input the credential of sysdomainmachine to join this machine to domain
- Click OK to close the confirmation window
- A reboot is needed to take effective
After reboot you can login to the domain with domain account.
Internet Explorer 10 might have accidentally become unpinned. To pin it back to your Start screen, follow these steps:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
- Enter Internet Explorer, and then tap or click Apps.
- In the search results, swipe down on the Internet Explorer icon, and then tap Pin to Start.
(If you’re using a mouse, right-click Internet Explorer, and then click Pin to Start.)
You might notice in your Surface RT, the time is showing 1 hour ahead of the actual even with the correct Time Zone selected.
The root cause is the internet clock was not sync correctly.
To fix this, connect to internet and do following:
- Go to the right bottom of the screen and click on the time
- Go to Internet Time and Change Setting
- Then click Update now
You might notice that there is not search box in Windows Store and find it’s difficult to see a way to search app in store. Here are steps:
- WinKey + C to open the charms bar
- Click or tap “Search”
- Enter what you want to search for
Update: actually step #2 & 3 is not necessary, when you go to store, you can just start typing and search will automatically come up. You can even do same in the start screen!
Screenshot for searching OneNote in Store.
In Windows 8 You can configure IE10 to always open in the default Metro style or in Internet Explorer for the Desktop, as you prefer.
To configure the way links display in IE10 when you open them:
- If you are using a Metro version of IE, when viewing a site in IE10, click Page Tools and select View on the desktop.
- Click Tools, and select Internet options.
- Click to display the Programs tab.
- In the Opening Internet Explorer section, select the default option you desire from the menu, and then click OK.
There are 3 IE launch options.
Let Internet Explorer decide
This option will choose which version of IE to open depending on the context where the link was selected. Selecting a link from a Metro style-app will open the touch-optimized version of the browser. Selecting a link from an application or icon on the desktop will open the desktop version of the browser. This option is the default.
Always in Internet Explorer
Links from all apps, including desktop apps, will open in Metro version of IE. The only exception here is IE icons and Internet shortcuts on the desktop.
Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop
Links from all apps, including Metro style-apps, will open Desktop version of IE.
When you install Windows Server 2012, you can choose between Server Core Installation and Server with a GUI. The Server with a GUI option is the Windows Server 2012 equivalent of the Full installation option available in Windows Server 2008 R2. The Server Core Installation option reduces the space required on disk, the potential attack surface, and especially the servicing requirements. In Windows Server 2012, you can freely switch between these options at any time, one approach might be to initially install the Server with a GUI option, use the graphical tools to configure the server, and then later switch to the Server Core Installation option.
To use PowerShell to switch between Server Core and Full Server with GUI
Full Server with GUI to Server Core
Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra -Restart
Server Core to Full Server with GUI
Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell -Restart