The official download link of Web Platform Installer (Web PI) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/web/downloads/platform.aspx is broken for a few days. If you search via google or Bing, you might essentially get a broken link like me.
Fortunately Microsoft IIS site has an alternate download link : https://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/web-platform-installer
English: x64 / x86
If you want to change password from a computer running windows server in RDP session, you will find Ctrl-Alt-End does not work as its always caught by current session. Follow these steps to change password in RDP session
- Press Ctrl-Alt-End
- Select Change Password
- Input current and new password and press enter
Flash player is included in Windows Server 2016 but not actived for IE by default due to security concerns. You can enable flash player for IE in Windows Server 2016 by following steps
- Open a command line windows and run following command
dism /online /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0.mum"
- Reboot, after reboot open adobe flash player official test page with IE to check if flash player is enabled
When Microsoft Edge is set as your default browser, your PDF viewer will also default to Microsoft Edge. If you would like to change the default application associated with a file type, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > System > Default apps
- Scroll to the end of the dialog
- Select “Choose default apps by file type”
- Scroll to the .pdf file type listed on the left
- Left click on the associated item to the right of the file type
- Select the default app you want to use for opening .pdf files
After upgrading to Windows 10, you might notice two hidden folder $Windows~BT和$Windows~WS consumes more than 10GB spaces of C drive. These two folders are created for Windows 10 upgrade and can be safely removed after successful upgrade. However, if you run build in Disk Cleanup tool on Windows 10, it only cleans up Windows.old folder, and does not touch $Windows~BT and $Windows~WS. Following are scripts which you can manual clean up these two folder.
Microsoft Edge is the new default browser in Windows 10. If you upgrade from a previous version of Windows, your default browser will be set to Edge.
Following are steps to change the default browser in Windows 10
In Windows 10, Disk Cleanup Wizard is integrated into new Storage Sense app, which can be launched via Settings>System>Storage. The new Storage Sense app brings more space cleanup features.
However, the new Storage Sense app is very slow, if you just want to perform quick cleanup like old Windows, you can find legacy Disk Cleanup Wizard by searching for cleanmgr in task bar.
If you are getting a low disk space alert on a Windows Server, the safest way to free some space is to run the Disk Cleanup wizard. However on Windows Server, by default Disk Cleanup is not installed. Installing it through “Add Windows Features” would trigger a reboot. To avoid this you can simply install it by copying two files cleanmgr.exe and cleanmgr.exe.mui with following commands:
copy C:Windowswinsxsamd64_microsoft-windows-cleanmgr_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_c9392808773cd7dacleanmgr.exe %systemroot%System32
copy C:Windowswinsxsamd64_microsoft-windows-cleanmgr.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_en-us_b9cb6194b257cc63cleanmgr.exe.mui %systemroot%System32en-US
Note: the above commands are for Windows Server 2008 R2. Check this website for other windows versions:
- In the Search box, type Add a language, and then tap or click the result Add a language to open it.
- In the Language dialog box, tap or click Add a language. Scroll to select the language you want from the list, or use the search box to search for a language.
- Tap or click the language you want to install, and then tap or click Add.
- To add the language as a display language, tap or click Options. If a language pack is available for your language, tap or click Download and install language pack.
- To switch to the newly installed display language, you’ll need to make it your primary language by clicking Make this the primary language.
Note: To change windows display language, you’ll need to log off of Windows, and then log on again for the change to take effect.
The SharePoint Recycle Bin provides a safety net when items (such as lists, libraries, folders, files, documents, and list items) are deleted from a SharePoint site. The SharePoint Recycle Bin works in two stages
First Stage Recycle Bin
When users delete items from a SharePoint site, they are placed in the User Recycle Bin. Items in the User Recycle Bin remain there until they are deleted or a set number of days have passed (30 days by default). The User Recycle Bin only contains items that the user personally deleted. To access the User Recycle Bin, from Settings (the gear in the upper right-hand corner) -> Site Contents, you should see the User Recycle Bin. Clicking on the Recycle Bin link will take you to the User Recycle Bin, where you can restore or delete the items.
Second Stage Recycle Bin
When items are deleted from a site’s Recycle Bin it goes to the Site Collection Recycle Bin and stays there until they are permanently deleted or a set number of days have passed (30 days by default). The Site Collection Recycle Bin contains items that any user has deleted, but is only accessible by Site Collection Administrators.