Two years ago I posted a blog Fix The Windows Search service is not installed error in Windows Server 2008 R2 explains how to fix Outlook search slowly when installed on Windows Server 2008 R2. Now I upgrade the system to Windows Server 2012 but notice the steps to enable Windows Desktop Search service in Windows Server 2012 are changed. In short, Windows Desktop Search service was under role File Server in Windows 2008 R2 and now moved to under Feature Windows Search.
Here are new steps to enable the Windows Search service in Windows Server 2012
- Start Server Manager.
- Click Manage , and then click Add Roles and Features .
- On the Before You Begin page, click Next .
- On the Installation Type page, select Role-based or Feature-based Installation , and then click Next .
- On the Server Selection page, select the server or virtual hard disk on which to install Windows Search Service.
- On the Features page, select Windows Search Servic e, and then click Next
- On the Confirmation page, verify that Windows Search Service is listed, and then click Install
If you use Windows Server 2008 R2 as work station for daily work. You might notice that outlook search very slow. This is because by default Windows Search Service is not enabled on windows server 2008 R2.
Continue reading Fix The Windows Search service is not installed error in Windows Server 2008 R2
To change theme in Outlook 2010
- Open outlook, click Files, then Options
- On the General tab, select a different theme in Color scheme drop down.
Continue reading Change Theme in Outlook 2010
It turns out Alter Shortcuts, e.g Alt+R (Reply), Alt+L (Reply All), and Alt+W (Forward), no longer work in Outlook 2010 BETA at all, though they worked in Outlook 2007 and previous Office 2010 CTP version.
Actually, these shortcuts are not lost, they just change Alt to Ctrl for some reason. Users have to use Ctrl+R to Reply instead of Alt+R, use Ctrl+Shift+R to Reply All Instead of Alt+L, use Ctrl+F to Forward Instead of Alt+W.
Hopefully MS won’t change these again in RTM builds.
22th April – Microsoft brings them back in final Office 2010 RTM build 14.0.4763.1000, the shortcuts for reply and forward are same as Office 2007
Reply: Alt+R or Ctrl+Shift+R
Reply All: Alt+L
In Outlook 2010 BETA, an email in the default HTML format might take much more space than the other formats. Sometimes, a simple msg takes upward .5 MB to 1 MB or even bigger after a few replies.
Microsoft has released a fix for this, which is available at microsoft download center:
Alternatively, you can wait for Office 2010 RC and upgrade when it’s available.
Q: Where is OOF Assistance, Print, Save in Outlook 2010?
A: Click on the ‘File’ button (upper left hand side) to access all the tools you have found in various menu items.
Here are a few tips to clean up mailbox in Outlook.
- Find email larges than 1MB and clean up
- Use AutoArchive to archive old emails from default mail folders to pst files.
- Use Clean Up Conversation if you are using outlook 2010
- Use Shift + delete to delete emails without moving them to deleted items folder.
Clean up conversation feature is a new feature in Outlook 2010. It can be found from Home tab in the Ribbon, select ‘Clean Up Folder’ or ‘Clean Up Folder and Subfolders’.
Have you ever deleted an email, emptied your deleted items folder and then realized one day or two later that you need them? Well you can recover them in outlook using the following easy steps:
Select the ‘Delete Items’ folder
Go to Tools->Recover Deleted Items…
You will see a nice list of all the email that you have deleted. However, you’ll need to know either the sender or the subject since you can’t search or open the items but you could always recover everything and then re-empty the Deleted Items Folder.
Update: In Outlook 2010, its Folder –> Recover Deleted Items