In Windows 8.1 you can login with Microsoft Account ( previously Windows Live ID). It give you the benefits to sync your contacts, calendar, hotmail settings, and roam your personalization settings like your Lock screen picture or desktop background across multiple devices.
When you setup a new Windows 8.1, by default you are asked for entering an existing Microsoft Account for logon. For users who do not like to use personal account in the office PC, they might find the logon with local user choice not discoverable. Here are two ways to skip using Microsoft Account as logon user when setup windows 8.1
- Disconnect your internet connection.
Two years ago I posted a blog Fix The Windows Search service is not installed error in Windows Server 2008 R2 explains how to fix Outlook search slowly when installed on Windows Server 2008 R2. Now I upgrade the system to Windows Server 2012 but notice the steps to enable Windows Desktop Search service in Windows Server 2012 are changed. In short, Windows Desktop Search service was under role File Server in Windows 2008 R2 and now moved to under Feature Windows Search.
Here are new steps to enable the Windows Search service in Windows Server 2012
- Start Server Manager.
- Click Manage , and then click Add Roles and Features .
- On the Before You Begin page, click Next .
- On the Installation Type page, select Role-based or Feature-based Installation , and then click Next .
- On the Server Selection page, select the server or virtual hard disk on which to install Windows Search Service.
- On the Features page, select Windows Search Servic e, and then click Next
- On the Confirmation page, verify that Windows Search Service is listed, and then click Install
In Windows Server 2008 R2, to define an application to be startup automatically for current user, one common way is to create an application shortcut and add it to startup folder. In Windows Server 2012, you might find you can’t find this startup folder any more.
Here is the steps to find startup folder in Windows Server 2012.
- WinKey + C to open the charms bar
- Click “Search”
- Enter shell:startup and click on the first result returned.
Now the Startup folder should appear, you can create and move shortcuts for application you want automatically startup into this folder.
Start from Windows 8.1, the metro internet explorer is the default one for website browsing. You can following these steps to make Desktop Internet Explorer for default browsing experience.
- In Internet Options, click Programs tab
- In Open Internet Explorer settings, change Choose how you open links option to Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop.
- Check Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop
- Click OK to save the Internet Explorer setting changes.
In windows 8.1, SkyDrive is built in. By default it’s set to Not sync files for offline usage, just put a placeholder. But you can set SkyDrive to sync all files or just selectly sync folders/files you want for offline usage.
To make SkyDrive sync all files for offline usage, open the metro SkyDrive application from start screenshot, change Access all files offline from default Off to On.
To make SkyDrive selectly sync the folders/files you want for offline usage, in metro SkyDrive app, by marking the folders/files and choose “make offline” or in desktop mode, by right clicking and selecting then appropriate option.
SkyDrive has been fully integrated into the RTM version of Windows 8.1 so its system level settings are now in PC settings.
To display the SkyDrive settings:
- Tap or click the Settings charm (or press Windows key + I).
- In the Settings pane, tap or click Change PC settings in the lower-right corner.
- Tap or click SkyDrive. You may have to press the Back button in the Settings pane to see the SkyDrive settings.
Here are the steps to use the built in wizard in the Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Manager to convert from VHD to VHDX.
- Go to the Hyper-V Manager. Under the Actions pane, click on Edit Disk… Continue reading Hyper-V VHD TO VHDX Conversion Step By Step Guide
To Move SkyDrive folder to a different location without having all files resynced
- Right click SkyDrive icon on the task bar, click settings
- In the settings tab, click Unlink SkyDrive button
- Move your SkyDrive folder to new sync folder location.
- Launch SkyDrive again, on the first run, click Change button to choose the folder set in step 3.
SkyDrive will now use the new folder you choose, all existing files will be merged without getting resynced from cloud.
If you have a machine in domain turned off for a few weeks. You might log in failed with error “The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship” when it’s turned on. The error message means the target machine losts domain relationship with domain controller, you can follow these steps to login to domain again:
- Log in with local administrator
- Open system properties windows, on the Computer Name tab, click button Change
- Delete the domain name, re-enter it with domain NetBIOS name (if the domain is sysdomain.local, then the NetBios name is sysdomain)
- Input the credential of sysdomainmachine to join this machine to domain
- Click OK to close the confirmation window
- A reboot is needed to take effective
After reboot you can login to the domain with domain account.
Internet Explorer 10 might have accidentally become unpinned. To pin it back to your Start screen, follow these steps:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
- Enter Internet Explorer, and then tap or click Apps.
- In the search results, swipe down on the Internet Explorer icon, and then tap Pin to Start.
(If you’re using a mouse, right-click Internet Explorer, and then click Pin to Start.)