What is Hyper-V
Hyper-V is Microsoft’s supported form of machine virtualization. It allows you to run any number of guest machines on your host machine. Each guest thinks it’s running on its own hardware, and is unaware that it’s just a simulation.
Hyper-V also provides an easy way to snapshot and rollback virtual machine to an old saved stage.
Hyper Installation Prerequisites
- Operation System – Hyper-V is only available in 64 bit versions of Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2
- Hardware – Processors should include a virtualization option. For example, Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT) or AMD Virtualization (AMD-V).
If you are not sure if your computer processor supports hardware virtualization, you can checkout Microsoft’s Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool. The tool also checks if virtualization is enabled on the processor.
- Log on to the system using an account with administrative privileges.
- From the Start / Administrative Tools, run the Server Manager snap-in.
- On the User Account Control dialog click Continue.
- Navigate to the Roles node and click Add Roles.
- On the Before You Begin page, click Next.
- On the Select Server Roles page, select Hyper-V and click Next.
- On the Create Virtual Networks page, click on the network adapters you want to make available to virtual machines and click Next.
- On the Confirm Installation Selections page, click Install.
- Click Close to finish the wizard, and then click Yes to restart the computer.
- After the Resume Configuration Wizard completes the installation, click Close to finish the wizard.
Note: The Hpyer-V in Windows Server 2008 media is a pre-release version. If you used the Windows Server 2008 x64 RTM as host operation system, you will need to upgrade the Hyper-V to RTM version by installing the Hyper-V Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB950050).
- Download and install the Windows6.0-KB950050-x86.msu update from the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6F69D661-5B91-4E5E-A6C0-210E629E1C42&displaylang=en
- Restart the system.